Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Eating and cooking kosher

I am a shiksa working in a synagogue and it is starting to infiltrate my food choices.  Where I work is not conservative or Orthodox, but is reform, and so in that vein, we have to eat "kosher like".  Out food does not have to be 100% kosher, but we have to be respectful of the overarching principles of keeping a kosher kitchen.  The e-mail that I received this morning clearly outlines what this means:

Notice to All Staff:
Please remember that Non-kosher food (e.g. pork or shellfish) should not be brought into the ---. Please see a copy of the regulations (below) that are sent to anyone wishing to book a room at the ---
Thanks.

(iv)          The Applicant(s) covenant and agree to abide by all laws and regulations covering the consumption of food and beverages, in effect on the date the premises are used, and to abide by the regulations of the --- concerning the same.:   
  • We do not allow pork, shellfish etc. We do require all meat to be “Kosher”. We are a nut free zone.  We don’t allow meat and milk to be mixed in prep or on the table. Non-kosher food (e.g. pork or shellfish) will not be served;
  • All meat served at the ---- is to be Congress kosher;
  • All other products used in the preparation of food will not contain non-kosher products;
  • There is no mixing of milk products and meat in the preparation of food, at the table or during the meal;
  • If meat and dairy products are being served at the same event, a minimum of one hour must pass between the serving of the meat product and the serving of the dairy product;
  • The same utensils may be used for milk and meat products; and
  • Such other religious standards as may be adopted by the ---- from time to time
I feel lucky in a way, that I am now searching out kosher recipes and ideas for meals and food.  I have recently bought two primarily Jewish cookbooks that I am loving reading.  One is The Book of Jewish Food, a primarily sephardic Jewish cookbook, (meaning it focuses on food from Northern Africa and the Mediterranean) there are recipes from all over the world.   The food looks scrumptious, and I love that the book not only deals with food, but also discusses Jewish history.  It is a beautiful book and I am looking forward to cooking from it sooner, rather than later. 

I also picked up A Biblical Feast: Ancient Mediterranean Flavors for Today's Table.  This book is fascinating.  It really speaks to what we would have eaten in biblical times and it is gorgeous.  The book has clear instructions on how to go make your own goat cheese, unleavened breads and sourdough starter, while also only using ingredients that are thought to have existed in the Jordan River Valley during biblical times. What I think is the most unique part of the book though, is the relationship that some of the recipes have to biblical text.  For example, there is a recipe for Davids cheeses brought to the battle against the Philistines. I think that I am going to have to pull out version of the Torah or old testament, so that I have a companion to reference some of the recipes with.`

I am very excited to be exploring Jewish and Kosher cooking more.  I think that it brings me back to my Polish roots and feels like wonderful home cooking.  I can`t wait to get in the kitchen soon.

For lists of other Jewish Cookbooks, please visit:

No comments:

Post a Comment